Gas Leakage

No Comment Yet

Gas Leakage

Three members of a family, including an eight-year-old child, died on Monday night following a suspected gas leak from the air-conditioner in their house on Valluvar Street in Mettukulam, near Koyambedu.

Based on preliminary investigation, police said that the victims — S. Saravanan (38), his wife Kalaiarasi (30) and their son Karthik — had gone to bed after switching on the air-conditioner on Monday night. Since none of them came out of the house on Tuesday morning, neighbours tried calling them but to no avail.

They then informed the Koyambedu police, who arrived and broke open the door of the house. On entering the bedroom, the police found the three lying unconscious, and called a ‘108’. Doctors later declared all three dead.

The accident is believed to have been caused by a snag in the air-conditioner, leading to a gas leak.

The police believe an electrical short-circuit could have been triggered by faulty operation of the genset, used to run the air-conditioner following a power outage in the area.

A senior police officer said all the three persons could have died of asphyxiation caused by carbon monoxide poisoning though the chemical report is not ready yet. The officer said the combination of an enclosed space and gas leak from the air-conditioner led to the tragedy.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Daily Report and is published from The Hindu.)

209 total views, 3 views today

dailyreport

Author

dailyreport

Up Next

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *